11/5/2020 (Voice of the Persecuted) Haiti: Population: 11.7 million, Christian 9.6 million
When Columbus landed in the island of Hispaniola on December 6, 1492, he found a kingdom ruled by a cacique, or Taino Indian chief. … When Haitians took their independence in 1804, through a slave revolt, they changed their colonial name from Saint Domingue (the name given by the French) to its Taino name of Haiti.
Haiti was made to pay for its freedom with steep reparations to France and diplomatic isolation, crippling the nation in its early years. Since that time the nation has a troubled history of bloodshed and dictatorships. Deposing the Duvaliers in 1986 ended a particularly brutal dictatorship followed by many coups and military rule. The US intervene in1994 to instill stability.
The 2010 earthquake devasted the little economy and infrastructure. Income per person less than $2 a day and major sources of income are remittances from expatriate Haitians and international relief. Enormous corruption, crime, a under strength police force often in the pockets of drug lords. Also 15% of the elite control 90% of all resources.
While there is religious freedom from the state, Haiti is a huge spiritual battle ground. Haitians identify themselves as Christians. However, the greatest threat or challenge is the widespread practice of Voodoo which is also practiced by many churchgoers. On a positive note: the evangelical churches are growing steadily.
- Pray for Christians, godly leaders, to be elected to government offices to look for the good for the nation and address the massive corruption problems.
- Pray to the Lord will break the power of the Voodoo churches that are distorting and polluting the message of Christ.
- Pray that the many Haitians who call themselves Christian will experience the transforming power of a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and overcome their practice of voodooism.
- Pray for the Lord to for laborers to go out to the rural areas where there is a lack of teaching that has reduced the influence of the church.
- Pray for more pastoral and leadership training. That NGOs will provide much needed support to develop pastors and elders who will teach the Bible.
- Pray for unity of the Bible teaching churches as prosperity, liberation and other imported theologies confuse and divide Christians.
- Pray for the Restaveks about 300,000 in numbers, who are child slaves which are easily bought and sold. Pray that the Lord will raise up people and organizations to bring love and relive to the Restaveks.
- Pray for more Creole language Bibles which are relatively expensive and in short supply as well as more discipleship material in Creole.
- Pray for more Christian broadcast messages in Creole by TWR and others. Also pray for more messages in Creole on the internet.
- Pray to the Lord for more Bible teaching mission organizations to come to Haiti and to give them wisdom and discernment how to plant churches to be patored by indigenous pastors.
- Pray that Christians would have the courage and boldness to share their faith and not be discouraged by voodooism.
- Pray that the Lord will continue to grow HIS church.
Again, we want to lift up persecuted witnesses for the Lord and pray for
- Leah Sharibu and Alice, prisoners of Boko Haram, pray that they will be set free
- Pray pastor Wang Yi to be released from Prison
- Pray for Anita, a Christian convert persecuted by the Iranian government.
You are invited to join us on Thursday, November 5th in a prayer call for the persecuted church.
Andy, Persecution Watch, Prayer Call Moderator
Prayer Conference Call Details
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
From any location on your phone
9:00 PM Eastern
8:00 PM Central
7:00 PM Mountain
6:00 PM Pacific
Call in number: 712 775-7035
Access Code: 281207#
Recommended: For those who may be subject to added charges for conference calls. Please download the app, it’s free!
MOBILE APP: Free Conference Call HD also provides a quick and easy way for you to dial into conference calls without having to remember the dial-in credentials. Save all of your conference call dial-in numbers and access codes using this free app. With the Free Conference Call HD you can instantly dial into a conference call via 3G/4G data network and or regular mobile carrier. Google Play link or App Store – iTunes
What is Persecution Watch?
Persecution Watch is a U.S. national prayer conference call ministry that prays specifically for the global Persecuted Church. For over a decade, Blaine Scogin led this national network of believers who faithfully pray for the persecuted and the global harvest for the Kingdom of God.
The group meets via a free call-in service every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night at 9pm Eastern (please check your time zone). Blaine also served as Prayer Director for Voice of the Persecuted and our missions became one. The prayer mission of Persecution Watch is an important part of our own.
With the passing of Blaine into glory on December 26, 2019, Voice of the Persecuted is committed to continue the prayer conference call for the persecuted along with our dedicated prayer warrior team.
On occasion, persecuted brothers and sisters have been invited on the call to share the trials they’re facing. The team serves to encourage them by washing their feet in Spirit led prayer.
Time is often reserved for those on the call to ask questions. We believe this helps to gain a better understanding of the situation that persecuted Christians endure in their specific nations. Q&A also helps us to focus our prayers based on their current needs.
Persecution Watch also hosts callers who want to pray united from other nations. If your heart is perplexed by the sufferings of our persecuted brothers and sisters, you no longer need to pray alone. We welcome all who desire to pray for the persecuted church and consider it a joy to pray together with you.
If you’re new to the call and can’t find your voice, listen in and pray silently or on mute. We are grateful and thank the Lord for bringing us all together to pray in agreement for our persecuted family in Christ. We can all be prayer warriors on this call!
NOTE: Persecution Watch has a new email address for the prayer team and those who would like to receive urgent prayer requests, weekly call prayer points and notification of special prayer events and special guest speakers.
Please fill out the form below to be included in our new distribution list to receive this important information. We are grateful for your prayers and to the Lord for guiding us as we continue the Persecution Watch prayer call mission.
Note to Voice of the Persecuted (VOP) readers: The Persecution Watch prayer team is also the prayer team of Voice of the Persecuted. SIGN UP today.