Home » Christian Persecution News » Africa » Madagascar
Category Archives: Madagascar
Persecution Watch: Pray for Believers in Madagascar
(Voice of the Persecuted) You are invited to join us on Saturday, February 25, 2023, in a prayer conference call for the persecuted church hosted by Persecution Watch.
Madagascar is the fourth-largest island in the world. Human settlement by Austronesian peoples from present-day Indonesia, then later by Bantu from East Africa. Until the late 18th century, Madagascar was ruled by kingdoms. The monarchy ended in 1897 when the island was absorbed into the French colonial empire. The island gained independence in 1960. A Socialist-Marxist Second Republic ran from 1975 to 1993.
Madagascar: Population 30 million people
Christian: 53%, split between Catholics and Protestants. Perhaps 11% evangelicals, folk religion is strong. Charismatic/Pentecostal churches are growing. The government and the four main Christian denominations are suspicious of recent evangelicals.
Most people live on less than $1/day. Pray for believers to find a way to support themselves and their families.
In 1828 Madagascar was ruled by queen Ranavalona, who was pro-traditional beliefs. She persecuted and expelled all Christians and foreigners in her 33-year rule.
- Pray the Lord bind up the anti-Christ spirit.
Many Christians also involved in ancestor worship, witchcraft, or folk religion.
- May Believers believe in the uniqueness of the Gospel!
Mainline churches often seem dead or have declining membership.
- Pray all churches be filled with faith and the Holy Spirit
Government and mainline churches are hostile to newer churches, and church leaders are sometimes jealous. Church splits are common.
- Pray for the unity of the body.
This poor land needs discipleship and training.
- Pray for biblical training that fits this nation’s needs.
Animism and Islam are strong in the North (closest to the Middle East traders).
- Pray for breakthrough in these cities.
Islam outreach is strong in most of the nation.
- Pray for truth to be evident and falsehood to be revealed.
Few foreign workers.
- Pray for the Lord to send harvesters.
- Pray for well-trained Christian workers willing to serve in isolated areas with difficult living conditions.
- Pray for honest government leaders with a vision to bring their country to financial and political stability.
- Pray for supernatural effectiveness by ministries aimed at urban youth and outreach to isolated areas.
- Please pray for biblical teaching and leadership development as it is urgently needed.
- Pray for greater unity among leaders and churches, and that pride and jealousy might give way to humility and Kingdom consciousness.
Today persecution in Madagascar usually comes from the family.
- Please pray for the families of new believers!
In 2022 Madagascar two back-to-back storms destroyed homes, and displaced thousands of people.
- Pray for those who are anxious, distressed and have lost everything, for God’s love and peace to comfort them.
Again, we want to lift-up these persecuted witnesses to the Lord:
- Leah Sharibu, a prisoner of Boko Haram since 2018, pray for her release.
- Alice Loksha Ngaddah, kidnapped February 2019. She is a mother of two, working as a nurse for UNICEF. Pray for her release.
- Pray for Pastor Wang Yi to be released from prison
- For the release of Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani from Iran, and his family as their persecution continues. Pastor Nadarkhani is serving the second year of his six-year sentence, recently reduced from ten years.
- Pray for Ryan Kohler, pilot for Mission Aviation who is in prison in Mozambique. While flying supplies to orphanages in the Northeast of the country, he and two others were detained and accused of supporting terrorism.
- “I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me” (Acts 26:18)
Michael Laird, Persecution Watch Prayer Call Moderator
Prayer Conference Call Details
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
From any location on your phone
USA Time Zone:
9:00 PM Eastern
8:00 PM Central
7:00 PM Mountain
6:00 PM Pacific
Call in number: (667) 770-1476
Access Code: 281207#
Recommended: For those who may be subject to added charges for conference calls. Please download the app, it’s free!
MOBILE APP: Free Conference Call HD also provides a quick and easy way for you to dial into conference calls without having to remember the dial-in credentials. Save all of your conference call dial-in numbers and access codes using this free app. With the Free Conference Call HD you can instantly dial into a conference call via 3G/4G data network and or regular mobile carrier. Google Play link or App Store – iTunes
If you are experiencing any difficulties joining the call, please let us know.
What is Persecution Watch?
Persecution Watch is a U.S. national prayer conference call ministry that prays specifically for the global Persecuted Church. For over a decade, Blaine Scogin led this national network of believers who faithfully pray for the persecuted and the global harvest for the Kingdom of God. The group meets via a free call-in service every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday night at 9pm Eastern time in the United States (please check your time zone). Blaine also served as Prayer Director for Voice of the Persecuted, and the missions became one. Brother Blaine passed into glory on December 26, 2019. It was truly a blessing for all of us to serve alongside this dear man of God and he will be greatly missed. The prayer mission of Persecution Watch remains an important part of our mission. Voice of the Persecuted is committed to continue the prayer conference call for the persecuted along with the dedicated Persecution Watch prayer warrior team.
Prior to the passing of Brother Blaine, he confirmed the passing of the torch as prayer conference call leader to Nadia Dybvik. Nadia has a burdened heart for the persecuted and is a prayer warrior standing in the gap for them. She joined the Persecution Watch prayer team in 2013 and has been part of the core ever since. Before becoming the prayer call leader, she served in the role of prayer moderator since 2015. Blaine chose Nadia for her faithfulness to pray for the persecuted and her strong commitment to the Persecution Watch mission. We are blessed not only with her gift of prayer, but her genuine love for every brother and sister in Christ that comes on the call to pray. May the Lord continue to bless Nadia and the prayer team in the mission and their personal lives.
“Pray for us” is the number one request that we hear from the persecuted. As the members of the first century Church were moved by the Holy Spirit to pray, we too must continue to serve those suffering persecution by lifting them up to the Lord through prayer.
On occasion, persecuted brothers and sisters have been invited on the conference call to share the trials they are facing. The team serves to encourage them by washing their feet in Spirit led prayer. Time is often reserved for those on the call to ask questions. We believe this helps to gain a better understanding of the situation that persecuted Christians endure in their specific nations. Q&A also helps us to focus our prayers based on their current needs.
Persecution Watch also hosts callers who want to pray united from other nations. If your heart is perplexed by the sufferings of our persecuted brothers and sisters, you no longer need to pray alone.
We welcome all who desire to pray for the persecuted church and consider it a joy to pray together with you. If you are new to the call and cannot find your voice, listen in and pray silently or on mute. We are grateful and thank the Lord for bringing us all together to pray in agreement for our persecuted family in Christ. We can all be prayer warriors on this call!
God bless and protect you in your faithfulness to serve.
Lois Kanalos, Founder, Voice of the Persecuted, Nadia Dybvik, Persecution Watch Prayer Call Leader and the Persecution Watch Prayer Team
NOTE: Please fill out the form in the sign up link below to be included in our distribution list to receive urgent prayer requests, prayer points, notification of special prayer events and special guest speakers.
Note to Voice of the Persecuted (VOP) readers: The Persecution Watch prayer team is also the prayer team of Voice of the Persecuted. SIGN UP today.