5/27/2021 (Voice of the Persecuted) You are invited to join us on Thursday, May 27, 2021 in a prayer call for the persecuted church hosted by Persecution Watch.
INDONESIA: Population 272.2 million, Christians 33.2 million [12.2%]
Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world, with a total of more than 220 million Muslims, or about 13 percent of the world’s Muslim population. While most Indonesian Muslims practice an animistic and superstitious version of Islam known as “folk” Islam, proponents of Islamic extremism have encouraged and engaged in violence against Christians. The wickedness of these attacks has led many Muslims to question their faith and to be more open to the gospel. Bold evangelists are taking advantage of this opportunity to share the gospel and lead many Muslims to faith in Christ.
82 percent of Indonesians are Sunni Muslims. 13 percent are Christians, including 3 percent evangelicals. The main persecutors in Indonesia are Islamic extremists, who influence moderate Muslims. While the government does not normally persecute Christians, neither does it consistently defend them.
Bibles are available in most cities, but not in many rural locations. Indonesians can legally own a Bible, and the Indonesia Bible Society prints Bibles inside the country. However, many live in hostile and remote areas where Bibles are unavailable, and others cannot afford to purchase one.
At around 7:30 on the morning of May 11, in Indonesia’s Central Sulawesi province, a normal day turned into a nightmare as terror struck Indonesian Christians once again. Our partners in Indonesia tell us that four believers were beheaded by Islamic extremists—in the same region where four believers were beheaded and burned alive in November 2020.
Open Doors local partner Ari Hartono* says the attack comes as a shock to believers in Central Sulawesi who are still reeling from the November attacks: “Central Sulawesi locals are still traumatized from the terrorist attack in Sigi last November and have not recovered yet,” he says. “They need our prayers now.”
The terrorist group, believed to be East Indonesia Mujahdin, was the first Indonesian group to pledge allegiance to the Islamic State group
in 2014 and the attack on the 99 percent Christian village is now being seen as religious persecution. In this area, there are many farmers who live in the forest far from the village. The terrorists targeted them.
- Pray that the government will control those inciting social unrest, especially against Christians.
- Pray that the Lord will restrain, convict the radical Muslims, prevent the radical Muslims from spreading their terror throughout the nation of Indonesia.
- Pray for local pastors facing financial crisis, especially for those who rent their worship space.
- Pray that church leaders and mission organizations will work together for the sake of the gospel.
- Pray that Christians in Indonesia will be salt and light to their Muslim neighbors.
- Pray that believers will learn to depend on God, even amid persecution.
- Pray that front-line workers will find creative ways to carry out their ministry.
- Pray for Christians who leave Islam and are heavily pressured by family and community to renounce their new faith in Jesus. Ask God to give them the support they need—as well as access to a Bible and the training to read it and grow.
- Pray that churches who are trying to obtain locations for worship would find favor with the government and be granted freedom to gather and worship in peace.
- Pray that God would give ministry leaders and volunteers the boldness and perseverance they need to both lead and serve the church in Indonesia.
- Pray for Christian children and teens, who often face discrimination and isolation for their faith. Ask God to give them hope, to strengthen their faith—and to know that they are not alone in Christ.
- Pray for good internet access that unbelievers are exposed to the Gospel message as well as for believers to be strengthened in faith and knowledge
- Pray for the protection of churches, the safety for the worshipers.
- Pray that the Lord will continue to mightily add to the numbers of believers and have His hand of protection on the church.
Again, we want to lift up persecuted witnesses to the Lord:
- Leah Sharibu, prisoner of Boko Haram since 2018, pray for her release.
- Alice Loksha Ngaddah, kidnapped February 2019. She is a mother of two, working as a nurse for UNICEF. Pray for her release.
- Pray pastor Wang Yi to be released from prison.
- Pray for Anita, a Christian convert facing a long prison term who escaped and now waiting for a visa to go to a country where she can express her faith openly.
- For the release of Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani from Iran, and his family as their Persecution continues. Pastor Nadarkhani is serving the second year of his six-year sentence, recently reduced from ten years.
Andy, Persecution Watch Prayer Call Moderator
Prayer Conference Call Details
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
From any location on your phone
9:00 PM Eastern
8:00 PM Central
7:00 PM Mountain
6:00 PM Pacific
Call in number: 712 775-7035
Access Code: 281207#
Recommended: For those who may be subject to added charges for conference calls. Please download the app, it’s free!
MOBILE APP: Free Conference Call HD also provides a quick and easy way for you to dial into conference calls without having to remember the dial-in credentials. Save all of your conference call dial-in numbers and access codes using this free app. With the Free Conference Call HD you can instantly dial into a conference call via 3G/4G data network and or regular mobile carrier. Google Play link or App Store – iTunes
If you are experiencing any difficulties joining the call, please let us know.
What is Persecution Watch?
Persecution Watch is a U.S. national prayer conference call ministry that prays specifically for the global Persecuted Church. For over a decade, Blaine Scogin led this national network of believers who faithfully pray for the persecuted and the global harvest for the Kingdom of God.
The group meets via a free call-in service every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night at 9pm Eastern (please check your time zone). Blaine also served as Prayer Director for Voice of the Persecuted and our missions became one. The prayer mission of Persecution Watch is an important part of our own.
With the passing of Blaine into glory on December 26, 2019, Voice of the Persecuted is committed to continue the prayer conference call for the persecuted along with our dedicated prayer warrior team.
On occasion, persecuted brothers and sisters have been invited on the call to share the trials they’re facing. The team serves to encourage them by washing their feet in Spirit led prayer.
Time is often reserved for those on the call to ask questions. We believe this helps to gain a better understanding of the situation that persecuted Christians endure in their specific nations. Q&A also helps us to focus our prayers based on their current needs.
Persecution Watch also hosts callers who want to pray united from other nations. If your heart is perplexed by the sufferings of our persecuted brothers and sisters, you no longer need to pray alone. We welcome all who desire to pray for the persecuted church and consider it a joy to pray together with you.
If you’re new to the call and can’t find your voice, listen in and pray silently or on mute. We are grateful and thank the Lord for bringing us all together to pray in agreement for our persecuted family in Christ. We can all be prayer warriors on this call!
NOTE: Persecution Watch has a new email address for the prayer team and those who would like to receive urgent prayer requests, weekly call prayer points and notification of special prayer events and special guest speakers.
Please fill out the form below to be included in our new distribution list to receive this important information. We are grateful for your prayers and to the Lord for guiding us as we continue the Persecution Watch prayer call mission.
Note to Voice of the Persecuted (VOP) readers: The Persecution Watch prayer team is also the prayer team of Voice of the Persecuted. SIGN UP today.