Malaysia: Population: 32.4 million, Christian 2.9 million
12/3/2020 (Voice of the Persecuted) Every ethnic Malay is expected to be Muslim. Whoever deviates from this is viewed as not just going against the Constitution, but also against society at large, their family and their neighborhood. Roman Catholics and Methodists are watched by the authorities and non-governmental organizations, but non-traditional Protestant groups are more often targeted, as these tend to be more active in testifying about their faith.
Christians from Muslim backgrounds often hide their faith and meet in secret. If discovered, they could face rejection from their family, or be forced to divorce their spouse. Occasionally they may be sent to a re-education camp, or simply disappear.
The fate of Pastor Raymond Koh, abducted in February 2017, is still not clear and the country’s human rights commission in its final report declared that the Special Branch of the police was involved in the abduction. This reality sent chills into the Christian community.
Churches are monitored by the government, and it is illegal to share the gospel with Malay Muslims.
All children in state-run nursery and elementary schools are required to attend Islamic education. In state schools, Muslim pupils (including Christians with a Muslim background) are required to attend Islamic classes. At the university level, Islamic courses are also mandated.
In February 2017, Pastor Raymond Koh was abducted in broad daylight. The country’s Human Rights Commission has attempted to investigate this incident but has been prevented from freely proceeding with their investigation.
- Pray for a change to the constitution as it defines ethnic Malays as Muslims. For this reason, Malays do not have religious liberty to leave Islam and those who practice other religions are forbidden from sharing their faith among Malay Muslims. Pray for change in Malaysia.
- Pray against the Islam gaining more ground in both numbers and political power.
- Pray against the numerous radical Muslim groups and their never-ending push for sharia law.
- Pray for protection over secret gatherings of believers from Muslim backgrounds. Pray these times of fellowship would be encouraging and unifying.
- Pray for new converts who are often kicked out of their homes, isolated from their families and communities, and sent to Islamic re-education camps. Pray for strength and courage.
- Pray for unity among Christians and Christian churches.
- Pray for godly leadership within Christian communities.
- Pray for more ministry to young people as the generation gap widens and many churches consist of older people.
- Pray for more Christian workers as many of the smaller. Churches have no trained pastor.
- Pray for more Bibles and Christian literature in the Malay language which has been banned by the government.
- Pray that the Lord will protect and further the work of all the NGOs
- Pray for continued grace to be upon Susannah Koh and the family. Pray for endurance in the continual search for answers and justice.
- Pray to the Lord that He will continue to grow His church and overthrow the radical Muslim movements.
Again, we want to lift up persecuted witnesses for the Lord and pray for:
- Leah Sharibu and Alice, prisoners of Boko Haram. Pray that they will be set free.
- Pray pastor Wang Yi to be released from Prison
- Pray for Anita, a Christian convert persecuted for her faith in Iran.
You are invited to join us on Thursday, December 3rd in a prayer call for the persecuted church.
Andy, Persecution Watch Prayer Call Moderator
Prayer Conference Call Details
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
From any location on your phone
9:00 PM Eastern
8:00 PM Central
7:00 PM Mountain
6:00 PM Pacific
Call in number: 712 775-7035
Access Code: 281207#
Recommended: For those who may be subject to added charges for conference calls. Please download the app, it’s free!
MOBILE APP: Free Conference Call HD also provides a quick and easy way for you to dial into conference calls without having to remember the dial-in credentials. Save all of your conference call dial-in numbers and access codes using this free app. With the Free Conference Call HD you can instantly dial into a conference call via 3G/4G data network and or regular mobile carrier. Google Play link or App Store – iTunes
What is Persecution Watch?
Persecution Watch is a U.S. national prayer conference call ministry that prays specifically for the global Persecuted Church. For over a decade, Blaine Scogin led this national network of believers who faithfully pray for the persecuted and the global harvest for the Kingdom of God.
The group meets via a free call-in service every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night at 9pm Eastern (please check your time zone). Blaine also served as Prayer Director for Voice of the Persecuted and our missions became one. The prayer mission of Persecution Watch is an important part of our own.
With the passing of Blaine into glory on December 26, 2019, Voice of the Persecuted is committed to continue the prayer conference call for the persecuted along with our dedicated prayer warrior team.
On occasion, persecuted brothers and sisters have been invited on the call to share the trials they’re facing. The team serves to encourage them by washing their feet in Spirit led prayer.
Time is often reserved for those on the call to ask questions. We believe this helps to gain a better understanding of the situation that persecuted Christians endure in their specific nations. Q&A also helps us to focus our prayers based on their current needs.
Persecution Watch also hosts callers who want to pray united from other nations. If your heart is perplexed by the sufferings of our persecuted brothers and sisters, you no longer need to pray alone. We welcome all who desire to pray for the persecuted church and consider it a joy to pray together with you.
If you’re new to the call and can’t find your voice, listen in and pray silently or on mute. We are grateful and thank the Lord for bringing us all together to pray in agreement for our persecuted family in Christ. We can all be prayer warriors on this call!
NOTE: Persecution Watch has a new email address for the prayer team and those who would like to receive urgent prayer requests, weekly call prayer points and notification of special prayer events and special guest speakers.
Please fill out the form below to be included in our new distribution list to receive this important information. We are grateful for your prayers and to the Lord for guiding us as we continue the Persecution Watch prayer call mission.
Note to Voice of the Persecuted (VOP) readers: The Persecution Watch prayer team is also the prayer team of Voice of the Persecuted. SIGN UP today.