LAHORE: The Supreme Court is due to hear the final appeal against the execution of Asia Bibi, a Christian, accused for blasphemy, on Thursday. Some insist it is not just a fight for one life, but a battle for the nation’s soul as the state walks a razor-sharp line between upholding human rights and appeasing populist hardliners.
This will be the final appeal for Asia Bibi, some six years after she was sentenced to death, accused of insulting the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) during an argument with a Muslim woman over a bowl of water.
“There is no question that what is at stake is the very soul of the state and Pakistan society: does Pakistan respect the rights of the most vulnerable? Does it defend those rights against spurious allegations even where those allegations involved matters that are sacred to most Pakistanis?” Mustafa Qadri, an expert on human rights in South Asia, told AFP recently.
Bibi was convicted and sentenced to death in 2010, despite her advocates maintaining her innocence and insisting the accusers held grudges against her.
The allegations against Bibi date back to… READ MORE
URGENT PRAYER CALL
Date of Call…….
Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016 (from any location using your phone)
Time of call…….
9 p.m. Eastern
8 p.m. Central
7 p.m. Mountain
6 p.m. Pacific
Note: It will be 6 a.m. Thursday, Oct.13 (the date of her trial) in Pakistan when this prayer call begins
Call number and access code are…….
Christian advocacy groups such as CSW and many church leaders are also calling for 24 hour prayer beginning Oct. 12th before her trial begins.
Prayer Points from CSW:
- That Asia would be acquitted
- For her strength and restoration during and after the hearing
- For wisdom and protection for Saiful Malook, her lawyer; and for the judges hearing her case
- For the wider Christian community who may face a backlash whatever the outcome of the appeal
- For an outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Pakistan, to maintain calm in the country.
- For justice for others accused of blasphemy, and that the government would urgently amend the blasphemy laws
Join with Voice of the Persecuted in daily prayer for Asia and remember her on Wednesday, October 12th